Full-Time • Pigeon, MI
The Coop has a job opening for a mechanic. We are looking for qualified individual to provide excellent customer service and to maintain, troubleshoot and repair company rolling stock to keep them in good operational order. This person will be based in Pigeon, but will be responsible for company service calls wherever needed. Vocational training in auto mechanics i.e. brakes, drive train, heavy duty truck repairs, highly preferred; a valid driver’s license and CDL with endorsements required; welding certifications and machine repair experience a plus.
- Provides prompt, efficient, and professional service to customers (internal and/or external). Clearly and courteously communicates with customers promoting a positive company image at all times.
- Performs mechanical and safety repairs on all rolling stock (Cooperative vehicles). Assists with plant repairs.
- Troubleshoots problems related to diesel and gasoline engines, working closely on D.O.T. matters with Shop Supervisor and Safety Director. May be dispatched to perform off-site repairs, troubleshooting and resolving vehicle problems and break-downs, repairing vehicles so they are fully functional and operational.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area, vehicle shop, break room and restroom.
- Maintains shop tools and inventory in working order.
- Finds most cost effective ways to maintain and repair vehicles while insuring work is of high quality.
- Participates in all procedure and safety training as assigned. Complies with all safety standards, working within regulatory guidelines and established Cooperative Elevator policies and procedures.
- Communicates with Manager on daily repair schedule, replacement costs and repair estimates.
- May deliver or spread fertilizer and/or lime; assist in loading lime or drive tender truck as needed.
- Attends and participates in meetings as appropriated.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School or GED with a minimum 4 years’ related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; vocational training in auto mechanics i.e. brakes, drive train, heavy duty truck repairs, highly preferred; field experience preferred; a valid driver’s license and CDL with endorsements required; welding certifications and machine repair experience preferred. Forklift experience and certification.
Critical Success Factors
- Is open and reacts positively/productively to change; is willing to take on new challenges.
- Good customer service skills
- Works collaboratively in a team environment, willing to assist others
- Able to share knowledge and communicate mechanical engine repair to other team members
- Is motivated and a self-starter with high initiative
- Able to wire weld, stick and wire, use acetylene and plasma cutting tools, and hand tools
- Able to work in a fast paced demanding environment
- Listens and effectively applies input from supervisors and co-workers for vehicle repairs, updates, and other aspects of work
- Takes accountability for understanding and adhering to Cooperative Elevator’s safety and work place policies and procedures